28 May 2014

Civil aspirants never let failure deter them

Civil aspirants never let failure deter them
When the going gets tough, the tough get going

Almost everyone agrees that it is one of the toughest exams in the world to crack; normally a person dedicates four or five years of his life to crack the exam so that he/she can become an IAS or IPS officer. Many aspirants with dream in their eyes usually head to the Capital, known for its coaching centres and the “right environment,” for this vocation.

But staying motivated till the time they actually crack the Civil Services exams remains a tough task for most of the aspirants. And the challenge grows tougher with every passing year and with every failed attempt.

“When you get older you start to mistrust yourself, you cannot concentrate for as many hours as you could earlier. All of your friends would have moved on. All the people I grew up with have successful careers. One best friend is an army Captain on his way to becoming a Major, another good friend is in Germany making money. My father is retired and still partially supports me... however, I really want to be a civil servant, so I intend to keep studying despite the fatigue...,” said 30-year-old Sunil Kumar Singh, who is left with two more attempts.

Raman Patel’s best friend, whom he sometimes helped aced the exams about two years ago and is currently a successful bureaucrat in U.P. but 32-year old Raman is still living in the same house and has given five attempts. “When the exam dates are announced, I start studying for 20 hours a day but at other times, the hours are restricted to five. I make it a point at this time to enjoy myself, go for movies, catch up with friends and have lots of fun. The fun is a must. If I don’t do this, then it will be difficult for me to survive the rigour. And, I am not yet ready to give up,” he said.

Incidentally, Raman had almost cleared the mains once and lost out in one subject. “It was Philosophy and that year was especially tough,” he says.

Abhishek Kumar cleared the preliminary exam in his first attempt and was confident of achieving his goals. Now, six years later after many more preliminaries and mains, he is not so sure anymore. “The answer sheets are not available, they don’t give you any feedback, so you never know the reason why you fail again and again. I do the things most other people in my position do, change my books, change my coaching centre, try to study differently, more hours sometimes, less hours sometimes. However, you never know where you are going wrong. I am 29 years old and still financially supported by my father whereas all my friends who entered academics have been independent for several years now,” he said.

Vikas Kumar from Bihar has it tough as well. His father, a farmer, has been supporting him all these years and he has only one attempt left to crack it. “It is difficult for me to accept defeat,” said the 32-year-old.

“Ever since I have been in the grind for a year, I have been studying for about 15 hours. I am very motivated but I don’t think I will be able to do this for many years,” is how Abhas Jha describes his zeal.

His four friends say they were once like him, they were topping exams their whole lives and were not used to failure. However, now they are not too sure but still hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

UKPCS2012 FINAL RESULT SAMVEG IAS DEHRADUN

    Heartfelt congratulations to all my dear student .this was outstanding performance .this was possible due to ...