1 November 2013

TOPPER HARITHA V. KUMAR. AIR 1 2013
From 179th to IAS topper: Haritha Kumar's amazing story

'One of my friends called to say I had topped the exam. I thought it was a prank. Later, he brought me a printout of the UPSC Web site displaying the results. My name was right on top!'
Kerala's first UPSC topper in 22 years shares her awesome story.
Haritha Kumar created history last week by standing first in India's elite civil services examination.
Thiruvananthapuram-born Kumar became the first person from Kerala to have topped the Union Public Service Commission, UPSC, examination in 22 years.
"It was my childhood dream to become an IAS officer," the 26 year old told Rediff.comover the telephone from her home in Thycaud, Thiruvananthapuram. "And now it is finally coming true."
Over the weekend, Dr Shashi Tharoor, the Lok Sabha MP from Thiruvananthapuram, called on her to congratulate her and her family.
"I am happy, tired and busy," says Kumar of the cheerful chaos surrounding her at the moment.
This was her fourth attempt -- she has been appearing for the civil services exam every year since 2009. "I did not qualify the first time. I reappeared the next year and secured 179th rank. The following year my rank slipped to 294. In my last attempt in 2011, I missed being selected for the IAS because I was short of 18 marks. So I chose the IRS (the Indian Revenue Service), but I did not want to give up on my IAS dream. I tried again this year," she explains.
She is currently undergoing training for the IRS in Faridabad, Haryana, and that's where she was when the UPSC results were announced on Friday.
She can now give up the IRS for the elite IAS.
Her father Vijay Kumar runs a construction business while mother Chitra is a homemaker. Her twin brothers, Safdheerth and Sasdharsh, are proud of her achievement; Sasdharsh is busy preparing for the civil services exam this year.
In the following pages, the UPSC topper takes us through the moments that led to achieving her dream.
Please click NEXT to continue reading...
'My name was right on top! I simply could not believe it!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

UKPCS2012 FINAL RESULT SAMVEG IAS DEHRADUN

    Heartfelt congratulations to all my dear student .this was outstanding performance .this was possible due to ...