29 November 2013

ias topper

S. Divyadharshini (AIR- 1, 2010)

"Being confident, dedicated and consistent will help crack the exam"

What were the basic mantras of your success?

Ans: I had put in hard work and was confident that I could clear the exam. So, hard work, dedication and confidence paved way for my success.

What were your strategies for the lengthy syllabus of General Studies for both Prelims and Mains?

Ans: For prelims, I studied extensively concentrating basically on facts. For the mains it was a more intensive study with subject knowledge. Further, internet as a source helped me enormously in my preparation.

What should be the basis of selecting optionals?

Ans: One's interest in the subject should be the prime consideration. Apart from this, availability of guidance and materials of study and the vastness of the syllabus would also form the basis.

How did you plan your optional strategy?

Ans: First, I took Public Administration as my first optional since it was a new subject and covered all sections as per syllabus. Second, I opted for Law, since I had done my graduation in Law, no extra effort was needed, but merely a different strategy to go about the preparation for civil services.

Did you follow the myth that only so called popular optional should be opted?

Ans: No, I felt comfortable with law as an optional though many tried to dissuade me. I felt the syllabus comfortable and interesting so I went about it. Also Public Administration was an interesting subject and had many parts of polity in it so I took it as another option.

What were the sources of information for general reading? How did you come to know that which sources of reading materials are standard?

Ans: My basic source of reading had been the public library. Apart from this, I also had internet as a source but was also cautious to cull out genuine and reliable information there from.

Tell us something about preparation of essay paper.

Ans: I did not prepare separately for essay paper. My GS preparation and my optional papers helped me answer the essay better.

How much time one should devote for this exam?

Ans: To give this exam a fair chance, it needs one and a half years of comprehensive preparation.

Prelims-1 year

Mains- depend upon the optional chosen. But it would take at least 6 months.

Interview- it would take few weeks to a month as it includes preparing of own profile and updating with current affairs.

Which is the most difficult part of this exam and why? What was your strategy to tackle this difficult part?

Ans: I feel, Prelims is the most difficult part, not just because it is tough but because it is highly competitive. I think being cautious in answering the prelims exam with taking few calculated risks would help one clear the exam. But overall this dedication towards the exam and consistent preparation would also help.

Did you integrate your Prelims or Mains preparation or was it separate?

Ans: I built my mains preparation by further building on my prelims preparation. But initially when I started, I had concentrated only on my prelims preparation.

How helpful are the notes? What is your advice on notes-making?

Ans: It had also been my strategy to make my personal notes for each topic that I considered important. It leaves your impression on the answer and further note-making proved important during my refresher, before the prelims exam. So it helped me in a big way towards saving a lot of time.

What are your suggestions for fresher’s ?

Ans: The exam is extremely competitive. So, fresher’s have to work towards that end. Being confident, dedicated and consistent will help crack the exam.

Civil Services Exam process is quite strenuous. It requires long hours of constant study. How did you maintain your tempo and what did you do to break the monotony of preparation?

Ans: I would prepare my notes and then study. It is one laborious exam that goes around for almost a year. I was consistent in my preparation and whenever I would feel burnt out I would take a short break and rejuvenate myself with things that interest me.

The trend suggests that Professionals are more successful in this exam. Does this exam prove difficult for Humanities and Social Science background candidates?

Ans: I don't think that it plays a part in the result. Being a professional cannot be a consideration when you have done your exam well. So it ultimately comes down to the individual preparation.

What should be the best strategy to tackle negative marking?

Ans: Negative marking requires a person to take calculated risks. It makes a person think objectively and not go about taking / relying completely on chances.

How did you prepare for interview?

Ans: My preparation for the interview was profile based and I also concentrated on my background subject Law and my other optional subject Public Administration. Also I was keeping myself prepared on the current hot topics of discussion.

Which type of questions were asked in the interview? Did you answer all?

Ans: The interview was very spontaneous. It depends on the way the candidate answers. I observed that most questions were built upon the answers that I had given.'' I had some questions on travel, law, current topics, RTI, Lokpal, why civil service and a couple of situational questions.

What is your advice to the candidates who have failed in this exam?

Ans: Please don't give up. You would have surely learnt from your unsuccessful attempt. Please correct it and you can surely clear this exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

UKPCS2012 FINAL RESULT SAMVEG IAS DEHRADUN

    Heartfelt congratulations to all my dear student .this was outstanding performance .this was possible due to ...